- 2 Ripe Nectarines
- 2 Ripe Heirloom Tomatoes, ideally one red & one yellow or variegated
- 15-20 Heirloom Grape Tomatoes, varying sizes and colors is ideal
- 2 Ears of Corn, Microwaved & the briefly grilled for roasted flavor & markings
- 1 Shallot & 1/4 of a Red Onion, Finely sliced
- 1 Orange, Zested & Juiced
- 1/4 cup Rice wine vinegar
- 2-3 Tbsps Olive Oil
- 1-2 Tbsps Honey
- Fresh Mint & Basil, 10 leaves each, finely minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: Cayenne Pepper 1-2 tsps
Combine the juice+zest, vinegar, oil, honey, herbs, salt & pepper blending thoroughly. I love the addition of the cayenne for a little bit of heat. Pour 1/2 of the dressing over the fruit portion of your salad and reserve the rest. Let the fruit sit and mascerate with the dressing for an hour or two before serving atop a bed of greens that will be dressed with the remaining salad dressing. If you prefer a creamier dressing, add yogurt or buttermilk to the mixture and shake to blend - this cuts some of the acidity without adding a lot of calories.
Voila ... a shocking little summer fun salad that is easy to make and can be prepared a few hours ahead! It was a hit at our recent couples grill out:)) See it served here alongside a buffalo blue cheese burger and sweet potatoes (courtesy of Chef Jeremy Martin) - YUM!!!